The couple, reportedly bean cake (akara) traders, were outside by 2am grinding the beans needed to prepare their product later in the day. Their children were asleep in a room and a lit candle was also in the house. The candle fell and started a fire but the busy couple were initially not aware.
The eyewitness claimed that the children shouted fire and tried to escape from the house but couldn't because of the burglary proof. The parents were later alerted to the fire outbreak and Mrs Ekanem ran to alert the fire service for help.
Sadly, the children were burnt to death before they could be rescued. The house was also totally gutted by fire. Police have started an investigation into the incident.
See more hotos from the scene below...
The two children covered clothes with after being burnt to death by the fire