The Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano, today, visited the casualties of a petrol fire explosion that occurred on Atani Road yesterday night in the outskirts of Onitsha, Anambra State.
The explosion occurred at about 8 on Wednesday, May 5 at Eva Water Staff settlement, Kara on the way to Atani in Ogbaru Local Government Area. According to reports, the explosion was from fuel stored in jerry-cans. 13 persons received degree of burns. No death was recorded.
The governor who arrived Toronto Hospital, Onitsha where thirteen people who sustained various degrees of burns in the explosion which was erroneously speculated to be a bomb with his aides was quick to allay the fears of the residents on the incident and assure them that the state was safe.
He regretted that because of the prevailing scarcity of petrol,Nigerians had resorted to storing fuel in jerry cans in residential areas thereby exposing themselves to extreme danger and warned the people to desist from the habit of storing petrol in their homes as the consequences were often dire.
He advised Ndi Anambra to demonstrate greater safety consciousness by keeping all inflammable items away from their homes to avoid unpleasant occurrences. The Governor also undertook to offset the medical bills of the casualties.