Wednesday 13 November 2013

Lady, 29, Attempts Suicide In Ilorin Over Unemployment

A 29-year old lady identified as Miss
Esther Okafor of Ganmo, a suburb of
Ilorin in Kwara State last Thursday
reportedly attempted suicide over her
unemployment status.
The lady was said to have gone to a
secluded
location in the area to hang herself but
was intercepted by one Alhaji Akeem
Mustapha, who was said to have gone
there to inspect a building site.
When asked why she wanted to take
her life in such manner, Esther
responded that she got tired of looking
for a job to no avail.
“I am from a poor background. My
father is aged while my mother is no
more. I struggled to see myself through
school, but because I am indebted to
the institution to the tune of N15, 000,
I have been unable to collect my
certificate”, she said.
Reacting to the incident, the Permanent
Secretary in the Ministry of Social
Development, Culture and Tourism
Samuel Osuolale Ajayi, said youths
should be creative by exploring their
inert potentials for economic gains
instead of resorting to suicide which he
said is a criminal offence.
He added that the ministry would
rehabilitate Esther, a graduate of Health
Information Management from the
University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital
and render any form of assistance that
could make her want to live again.

No comments:

Post a Comment